Weekend Water Marble

Well...I finally did it. I wasn't sure if I was ready to commit to something so major, but I decided it was time to finally take the plunge. After 24 years, I finally...water marbled.



I used colors from my favorite China Glaze collection, Up and Away: Four Leaf Clover, Happy Go Lucky, and Heli-Yum. It was a pretty easy selection, and they go really well together.

I used cutepolish's tutorial and it worked wonderfully. Her tips about blowing on the surface of the water and the way she twisted her toothpick to pick up the dried polish on the surface of the water were really clever.

I also learned that you need to be careful about where you place your design. I drew designs in different places on the cup, depending on which hand was going to be dipped. Then I wouldn't have to twist my hand into uncomfortable positions to properly dip the nail in the design.

One additional tip I have to offer is to combine the use of tape and Vaseline. I've heard of people using both techniques separately, but I figured...

¿Porque no las dos?
So I taped off my fingers, then, using a cotton swab dipped in Vaseline, I coated the areas of skin that were still exposed like the part under my nail and the two corners of my exposed cuticle near the base of my nail. Worked like a charm!

Cleanup was much simpler than I thought it would be, and I partially contribute that to my color choices. Black water marbling would probably be a royal pain, but yellow, pink, and teal are much easier. I mainly contribute it to the Vaseline-tape combo I used.

I love that endearing little spot on my middle finger. I'll name it Spot.

20 comments :

  1. Love the color combo. I love water marbling. I just did one with glitter and it worked. Haven't posted yet but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love it!! I love water marbling and combining both taping and Vaselina was very clever!
    Turned out really good :)
    You used a white base, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I tried earlier without white and it's just not ever opaque enough. You can see bits of white peaking through around the edges of the nails.

      Delete
  3. This looks great! I recently marbled with a similar color palette, I love it =]!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome mani!! Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is your first water marble? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I like that you used both tape and vaseline! Genius! :D This turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an absolutely amazing job! Awesome colour choice too! I tried water marbling once and it went terribly wrong so I completely gave up and never tried again :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I have tried a couple of times, but none of those came out as I wanted them to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks awesome. But I'm still afraid of trying water marble:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant marble!! I'd probably make a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome! my first water marble wasn't that perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! I love water marbles. I think I will be hosting a water marbling contest on my blog as soon as I can find a worthy prize... I hope you will enter when I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing. The colors look so great together, I love it.
    Every time I try to water marble I have so many more problems, I'm going to try the vaseline and tape and hope that helps.. and I will definitely be watching that tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! This is so perfect for summer! I can see wearing this on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is just gorgeous, perfect summer colors!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy comments of all types! However, please do NOT promote your blog through the comments of my own. If you would like to contact me personally, please use the Contact and Disclosure page at the top of my blog. Thank you and enjoy!